Fungal Infection of Nail and Its Treatment With Homoeopathy
Fungal infection of nail is medically termed as onychomycosis’. It is one of the commonest problems regarding nails. It damages the nail colour, shape, texture, etc. Fingers will lose their beauty and the defence mechanism against trivial injury. In addition, the infection can also spread and grow into the nail.
The risk of fungal infection has increased with the use of artificial synthetic material like gloves or footwear made of rubber, rexin, plastic, etc. These materials do not absorb sweat and the constant moisture or increased humidity increases the risk of fungal infection.
- Working constantly with water or standing on wet fungus floors
- Repeated injury from in-growing nails, hanging nail, biting the nail, exposure to chemicals, etc
- Using tight fitting/synthetic shoes for a prolonged period
- Wearing nylon socks/gloves
- Sharing bath towels
- Skin diseases – psoriasis, eczema, herpes, etc.
- Diseases – diabetes, circulatory disorders, malignancy, etc.
Onychomycosis is a fungal infection that causes fingernails or toenails to thicken, discolor, disfigure, and split. Depending on the type of fungus, the nail may turn yellow, gray, brown, or black. The nail may become brittle and crack. It may separate from its bed. The surrounding skin may be red, itchy or swollen.The nails of people with onychomycosis are initially a cosmetic concern. Without treatment, however, the nails can become so thick that they press against the inside of the shoes, causing pressure, irritation, and pain.
- Keep fingers/toes dry and clean
- Remove hanging nails or shape the in-growth, if any
- Control sugar levels in case of diabetes
- Avoid unnecessary medication
- Diagnose properly and proceed to treatment as early as possible
Homeopathic medicines do not kill the fungus. It enhances the immunity of the body, so that the body can fight against the fungus and resist it. With regular use, Homeopathic medicines help to restore the nail and prevent recurrent infections.
After starting homeopathic medicines, natural healing takes place. The nail, if mildly damaged, is repaired. If largely damaged, it falls off and the new nail which comes is healthy and generally can withstand the fungal infection.
- Silicea is an excellent homoeopathic remedy for fungus . patients who have very cold feet and palms. Their nails are infected and disfigured. The patient oozes bad smelling sweat from the feet, hands and armpits. It is also seen to be associated with a sharp pain in the finger and toe nails. The pain is unbearable and the patient seems to be very restless and irritable. Silicea can be given to patients in whom the nails grow inwards and are surrounded with flesh and
- Graphites is suitable for cases of nail disorders characterized by inward growth of the nails, especially of the toe nails. The nails tend to ulcerate and the surrounding tissue is swollen.
- Bufo Rana is a very effective homeopathic remedy for treating fungal infections of the nails and toenail which appear bluish or blackish in color. This Homeopathic medicine may be given to patients in whom the skin surrounding the nails is swollen and there is occasional formation of pus. Nail affections are associated with a deep dull pain that runs upward till the axilla (armpit).
- Flouric acid assures positive results in cases where the nails grow very fast and are crippled. People have nails with longitudinal ridges. Nail changes may be associated with a sore pain in between the toes.
- Antim crud is one of the top remedies in cases of infections of the nails associated with thick horny callosities of the skin.It seems to work well in patients who have horny warts on the hands and soles. Antim crud assures relief to patients who have a dry skin which itches. The nails are very brittle and break very easily. The original shape of the nails is distorted and the nails grow out of shape.
BRITTLE finger nails : Alum., ambr., ant-c., ars., calc., cast-eq., dios., fl-ac., Graph., merc., nit-ac., Psor., sep., sil., squil., sulph., thuj.
Toe nails : Cast-eq., sil., thuj.
CRACKS skin, Fingers, nails, on : Ant-c., ars., nat-m., sil.
tips of : Aur-m., bar-c., Graph., Petr.
DISCOLORATION, fingers, nails : Ant-c., ars., graph., nit-ac., thuj.
Toes, nails : Apis., ars., camph., dig., graph., nit-ac., ox-ac., sil.
DISTORTED nails : Alum., anan., calc., fl-ac., Graph., merc., sabad., sep., Sil., sulph., thuj.
Toe nails : Anan., Graph., merc., sep., thuj.
FELON (Onychia, Paronychia, Panaritium, etc.), beginning in nail : Par., petr., phyt., plb., puls., rhus-t., sep., Sil., sulph.
at root of nail : Caust., graph.
PAIN,Nails : Am-m., ant-c., bell., caust., graph., hep., kali-c., merc., nat-m., nit-ac., nux-v., par., petr., puls., ran-b., rhus-t., sabad., sep., sil., squil., stann., sulph., zinc.
SPLIT nails : Ant-c., Sil., squil., sulph.
SPOTTED nails : Alum., ars., nit-ac., ph-ac., sep., Sil., sulph., tub
THICK nails : Alum., ant-c., calc., Graph., merc., sabad., sep., Sil., sulph., ust.
Finger nails : Alum., Graph., sabad.
Toe nails : Graph., sec.
nails : Ant-c., ars., graph., nit-ac., thuj.