Efficacy of Homoeopathy in treatment of Eczema
Eczema or Atopic dermatitis is a chronic skin disease which is caused due to the inflammation of the skin. Eczema actually covers a wide presentation of skin symptoms. If we see the dictionary meaning of the word eczema, it is derived from the Greek language. In Greek, ‘ek’ means ‘out’ and ‘zein’ means ‘to boil’. This means that the skin seems to be boiling out. In medical terminology, this condition is known as ‘dermatitis’. ‘Derm’ refers to the skin and ‘itis’ refers to inflammation. It occurs as a reaction to a variety of stimuli and can have quite different presentations.
Clinical features of Eczema:
- Weeping and crusting
- Blistering-usually with vesicles but, in fierce cases, with large blisters
- Redness, papules and swelling- usually with an ill,-defined border
- Less vesicular and exudative
- More scaly, pigmented and thickened
- More likely to show lichenification- a dry leathery thickened state, with increased skin markings, secondary to repeated scratching or rubbing; and
- More likely to fissure
Causes of Eczema:
- House dust mites
- Animal dander
- Certain foods (e.g., milk, nuts)
- Certain fabrics
- Soaps, cosmetics, perfumes
- Detergents and other cleaning fluids
- Some people report that emotional stress can also make their eczema symptoms flare up.
Triggers of Eczema:
- Soaps and cleansers
- Dust and sand
- Irritants in the environment
- Cigarette smoke
- Cold or flu
- Bacterial infection
- Prolonged exposure to water
- Being too hot or too cold
- Sweating and then becoming chilled
- Taking baths or showers that are too hot or last too long
- Not using a skin lubricant after a bath
- Low humidity in the winter
- Living in a climate that is dry year-round
What We Know About the Causes of Eczema?
- Eczema is not contagious. You or your children can’t catch eczema by coming in contact with someone who has it.
- Eczema runs in families.That suggests a genetic role in eczema’s development. A major risk factor is having relatives who have or had:
- Seasonal allergies such as hay fever
- Doctors also know that a large percentage of children with severe eczema will later develop asthma or other allergies.
- Mother’s age at time of birth. It’s isn’t clear why, but children born to older women are more likely to develop eczema than children born to younger women.
- Role of environment. Children are more likely to develop eczema if they:
- Are in higher social classes
- Live in urban areas with higher levels of pollution
- Live in colder climates
- Eczema is not anallergic reaction Even so, a large number of children who have eczema also have food allergies. That doesn’t mean that certain foods such as dairy, eggs, and nuts — common food allergy triggers in children with eczema — cause it or make it worse. Before removing particular foods from your child’s diet, talk with your health care provider to be sure your child’s nutritional needs will be met.
Homeopathy for Eczema:
There is no one single homeopathic medicine for eczema which can cure all cases. One has to go into the minute details of the disease, the case and the patient to decide the right medicine for each individual patient. A homeopathic medicine selected after such careful study of the patient is able to completely cure the patient in some time. As mentioned earlier also, Homeopathy has no side effects which is the biggest advantage of this system of medicine. Generally speaking, Homeopathic remedies like Sulphur, Graphites, Merc Sol, Mezereum, Psorinum, Arsenic and Hepar Sulph have shown very good results consistently. The exact selection of the medicine varies from patient to patient depending on the symptoms of each individual patient.
- Graphites- One of the best Homeopathic medicines for Eczema with thick oozing.Where there is oozing of thick and sticky discharge from the eruptions, Graphites is the best Homeopathic medicine for eczema. Usually the patient is obese and suffers from constipation. Such patients are more likely to be sensitive to the cold weather.The skin is rough and hard. In unaffected areas, the skin is dry.
- Mezereum- One of the best Homeopathic remedies for Eczema with crust formation.When there is formation of a crust, more so on the head, Mezereum is the best Homeopathic medicine for eczema. The head is usually covered with a thick, leather like crust. Pus collects just below the crust. The itching is intolerable and is worse in the bed. The patient feels better in open air.
- Hepar Sulphur- One of the best Homeopathic medicines for Eczema with pus formation.In cases, where suppuration or pus formation is most marked, Hepar Sulphur is the most useful medicine. There is intense itching in the eczema. There are deep cracks on the skin. The patient is sensitive to touch and also to cold air but is better in the damp weather. The eruptions aggravate in winters.
- Dulcamara- One of the best Homeopathic medicines for Eczema worse in the cold damp weather.For eruptions that aggravate in the cold damp weather, Dulcamara is one of the best homeopathic medicines. The itching is also worse in cold damp weather. There is the formation of thick brown yellow crusts which bleed when scratched.
- Sulphur- One of the best Homeopathic medicines for Eczema with burning.If there is intense burning along with itching in the eczematous parts, then Sulphur is the best Homeopathic medicine for eczema. The problems tend to get worse in heat and in summers. The skin is usually dry and looks unhealthy. The itching is worse from warmth and in the evening.
- Arsenicum-Intense itching. Turns to burning when scratches till raw; when burning stops, itching.returns. Skin dry as paper. Flaking. Pussy. Small vesicles.Eczema worst on.uncovered parts or areas. Chilly, weakness. Sips cold water.Restless. Anxious, worried about health, death, security, picky, miserly.Worse: after midnight, cold air or bath, wet; better: hot bathing, warm room.
- Nat Mur–Small itchy blisters with corrosive fluid; skin becomes red, raw, inflamed.Margins of hair; bends of joints, behind ears. Dry flaky crusts form after.Craves salt, thirsty. Greasy, oily hair.Dry skin in general. Underweight.Eczema from suppressed emotion, inner grief. Avoids consolation, fuss.Worse: warmth, salt, seashore, And menses, better: cool weather or bathing.
- Petroleum–Red, raw, moist surface: burning and itching: oozing after scratching.Deep cracks in folds, fingers. Bleed easily, become infected. Ulcerations.Eruption of the palms, fingerprints, bends of joints, behind ears, genitals.Itching, scratches until it bleed; the part becomes cold after scratching.Worse: winter, cold air, moving vehicles, night. Better: warm air, dryness.
- Mezerium–Violent itching; smarting, crawling, but parts feels cold, as if cool breeze.Acrid oozing, forms hard, thick crusts with pus under them or white scabs, matting the hair. Intense burning after scratching. Eczema after vaccines.Scalp, margins of hair, face, lids, eyebrows, hands and feet, cracked lips.Worse: night, heat of bed or bath, drafts, damp, touch. Better: open air.
- Rananculus Bulbosus– May be used in cases of eczema attended with thickening of the skin and formation of hard, horny scabs. One of the most effective remedies for the bad effects of alcoholic beverages; spasmodic hiccough; delirium tremens.
- Rhus Tox– Is useful in cases of eczema wherein hard, thick chalky crusts form, which crackand ooze copious pus. Adapted to persons of rheumatic diathesis; negative effects of gettinwet, especially after over-heating.
- Staphysagria– It may be used in treating eczematous eruption on any part of the body, but is especially apt to be found on the head and face.The eruption is usually dry and formed of very thick scabs and itches violently; when scratching stops the itching in one place, it moves to another. At other times, these scabs are moist and yellowish in color.
- Calcarea Carb – It is indicated in the eczema of children, when it appears on the scalp, with a tendency to spread downwards and over the face. It frequently appears in patches on the face or scalp, forming thick crusts, which are often white, chalk-like deposits. Found in those who are leucophlegmatic, with blonde hair, light complexion, blue eyes, fair skin; tendency to obesity in youth. Psoric constitutions; pale, weak, timid, easily tired when walking. Disposed to grow fat, corpulent, unwieldy .